Wednesday, July 6, 2011

fireworks in the kitchen


I went crazy this past week in the kitchen. It began with mothers bunko group, then it went onward to all the 4th of july parties. How was your 4th? Did you also have more than one party? This is nothing new, but it was the first year they were on different days. I had a three day stretch of parties, with such different vibes for all of them.

WAIT, the beginning started when the grandparents came to town. Yes, that was the low point since of course I did more desserts than actual food. Being in Colorado where we ate out each night caused my stomach to eat grease instead of sweets. Dessert stomach was starving in other words.
For the grandparents I made a sausage tortellini soup which the old man said was par. I had made this soup knowing it was good. Maybe it was the cold night that made it such a delight the first time. Although it was nice, he just hates change. Then for dessert I made my first pie (what Grandma loves, I WILL MAKE since that women holds the strings to my heart). Of course things must not be traditional, so it was a crunchy kaluha pie. PICTURES!!!





Then the bunko babes arrived. My mother tends to get stressed with hosting people. She keeps herself much to busy and when free she loves that nook more than cookbooks. Therefore, to brush off some of that stress I take the reins. Last year I probably doubled her stress with the uncertainty of my cooking skills. This year though, I knew how to go about it so both of us would be at peace. I simply found options, presented them, and together we made the menu. The theme was fruit (SINCE IT IS THE SEASON) but alcohol was quite present in the food once I had it all laid out. PICTURES


Everything was made fresh other than the berry steak with blue cheese. That one I made last summer for my steak loving parents. It sounds weird, right? Berry's on steak then with blue cheese........TRY my friends before knocking it down.

Ok did you see the macaroons.....no? Oh here look down I took a close up of this disney world trip come true.

They were Espresso flavored with a sinful like most mocha's are filling. I had to send what was left off to a friend who adores France. I had the minimum of 5 each time I went into the kitchen with one on my mind. Truly I was so scared to make these. But everywhere you look with recipes online you get slapped with all the combination possibilities. These whoopie pies, cupcakes, and homemade ice cream are the chic desserts for online recipes.

Luckily these women were enjoying the fruit drenched in the bottoms of their home-made sangrias to really save room for the orange and cherry truffles I made. I say this because my friends were having a party the next day so I just took what was left there. My friends are from Zimbabwe and from now a few grill outs with their family in the states and in South Africa they tend to lack desserts at parties. The meat at these gatherings are everything a carnivore could dream. I ended up playing several games of duck, duck, goose, and in reward was handed a nice piece of goat!!!

What now 3 events shared, two more to go. Sadly I did not take a pictures of these sweet potatoes and cheese wontons I created. I did also make a Thai peanut slaw with the other half of the wonton wrappers. Both were good and were reviewed good.


In the end I am exhausted and the side of me that loves old style potato, fruit, and everything between salads is completely satisfied. If Omaha is still home in the start of fall I got a job to cook for a lady and then decorate a loft downtown. Both interest me, more the design, but we shall see.

Hugs, tugs, mugs, and PUGS!!

0 comments: